Laura Stubbs, Captain, Leeds Hospital Guides & Scouts
First of all, I am delighted that you’re interested in our Guide & Scout unit for your child. Leeds Hospital Guide & Scout unit is a very special uniformed group and hopefully this page will help you understand what we do and why, and what your son or daughter will get from joining us!
I became a Brownie in 1994, and nothing could have prepared me for the fun, laughter and friendship that I gained from the experience – and have carried on gaining ever since!
I’ve been a Guide leader since 2007, and following a year volunteering with Candlelighters I became aware of how difficult (and boring!) it can be to stay for long periods of time in hospital – especially when you’re young. It can take its toll on the whole family too, with lots of time spent waiting around for appointments and to see different people.
The whole idea of Leeds Hospital Guides & Scouts is that once a week we all get together and HAVE SOME FUN, learn new things and meet new people.
We don’t sit around doing crafts – we’re an active, exploring, inquisitive group doing science experiments, completing interest badges, pitching tents, planting mini-gardens, building bug hotels and much much more!
The unit is open to all the children’s wards so you’re bound to meet new faces every week.
How it works:
- We’re open to any patient aged 5 – 14 years old – and siblings are welcome too
- You don’t have to come every week – your child can come when they want and when they are able, there’s no obligation
- There’s no subs to pay – we’re supported by kind fundraisers and people that donate resources for us to have fun
- We’re Guides AND Scouts combined – we follow the principles of both organisations and work closely together to make sure our programme aligns to both
- You don’t need a uniform – we’ll provide a clean necker at each meeting, just dress comfortably and wear sensible shoes
- Parents are welcome to stay – but if you need a break we are fully staffed with DBS-checked volunteers just like any other Guide or Scout unit
We hope to welcome your son or daughter to our meetings very soon. And if you have any questions please do CONTACT US DIRECTLY.